Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day 1, Why am I doing this?

"Perish the thought I should look over your shoulder", my husband said. He's sitting to my left side, pretending to be working on his computer. He's helping me set up. Without him, I'd be totally lost. He's my best friend and occasionally, very occasionally, my worst enemy. He's my cheer-leader, and the one who keeps me on track, whether I ask for this favor or not.

My "mentor", if you will, is Julie and Julia, the movie. I adored this movie! Loving to cook, it was right up my alley, or kitchen. And as well, my love for writing, is why I am here beginning my very first words.

Too many of my friends have said, "You could, you should! write a book!" And I'd scratch my head not knowing where to begin. Paragraphs are easy, a page is easy, but a chapter I just can't seem to get to. So I do what I've never done before. I ordered How Fiction Works, by James Wood. I'm intimidated by it's size, the smallest book I've ever seen, yet won Nonfiction Book of the Year Award! But you gotta start somewhere, and this is my smallest beginning ever.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Welcome to the blog world! I look forward to reading all that you have to say! I am so thankful that Markus and I know you and have you and Jerry in our lives! Blog on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too look forward to reading what you have written, you have such a full life of stories we have yet to hear. I do wonder if any of us are "normal" though (per your bio!) But I know what you meant and I enjoy your normalness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So - let the rainbow of words begin! Nonno's Monkey and I am proud to be the force that caused you to take your fingers and dip them into the pool of self and soul. With much love, Isabel
    Nonno's Monkey, an Italian American Memoir.

    ReplyDelete