Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 3 - Reading "How-To's" Is SO Not Me

But recipe books are the exception! I muddled through most of Chapter I, Narrating, in the James Wood book. I can see Mr. Wood is a Genius! When he reads a book, I'm thinking he dissects each paragraph into categories of information. Hats Off, Mr. Wood. I'll continue through the book because I paid dearly for it, but it's written (in my humble opinion) for College Graduates going for their Doctorate in English Literature.

But here is what I've learned thus far: The HUGE Chapter on Narrating describes to me several ways of telling a story. Oh, how this takes me back to 12th Grade English, on a very small scale!

"First-person narration is generally more reliable than unreliable", Wood writes. So, this information plus a $5 bill will buy me a lovely latte' at Starbucks! There's not only First Person, but Third Person "Omniscient" narration. (Make that a double-shot Carmel Macchiato, skinny, extra Carmel!)

I can do "direct speech" or "indirect speech" or even "free indirect speech". I'm thinking I need to go back to college!

But I know darned well that Stephen King wrote his first book without any further education than what was required, and he was desperate for finances living in a teensy weensy, old trailer with his sweet, supportive wife, when he wrote his first thriller novel. He didn't even have a cloud of ambiance in which to write, yet he became published right off! Perhaps a dark and crowded trailer, old and not much of a view out those little windows was ambiance enough to write a scary book!

I am getting a sense of what I need to look at, but don't want to get trapped into thinking sentence structure and vernacular and styles of writing is what I need to obey (as such) to make a neat and tidy sentence! or paragraph! or chapter! I'd miss the gush of creativity that often floats like a raft surging down the raging Colorado river during spring runoff.

I think at this time I need to construct a theme. This project may be bigger than I imagined, so... like in the TV program, "You Want To Be A Millionaire?", I'm going to invite my audience to participate in this work. It won't be "my work", but "our work". If this ever gets published (a BIG if), it will be "our names" as contributing authors!

Ever read Choose Your Own Adventures? It was a series of books for older children and young teens. My boys LOVED this series. They could read just so far, and have to decide where their character went and what the outcome was. They'd see-saw all throughout the book, looking for the page number that began the next segment of their adventure.

If this has ever been done - writing a book from a Blog standpoint - I'd be amazed. But you, my fans, my friends and family, I am inviting you to participate.

Over a modest plate of enchiladas for our linner (lunch/dinner) today, I asked Jerry what he thought about my idea. He's game, and is intrigued over the fun that many participants could have over this project!

Here's how it works - and I'm guessing as I write:

1. I will write several paragraphs beginning a story. It will not be Stephen King-like, nor will it be Jane Austen-like. It will definitely be "me-like". I'll get started letting the creative juices froth, and begin penning a Chapter of... something!

2. At the end of what I write, I'll give 3 scenarios of which direction could possibly happen.

3. I'll wait for at least 3 answers within 3 days time before seeing which direction was most popular.

4. Then I will mush on for another segment of my story. You can suggest a character-type if you'd like, and I'll see how I can develop the story-line. I adored the movie, Romancing The Stone, where the writer (played by Kathleen Turner) herself became a character in the actual book, where adventure...romance... intrigue... and a happy ending were all realized.

I think Mr. Wood, Author of How Fiction Works, would probably fall in a dead faint to see my abruptly leaving his book to take this plunge! But mind you, I will try and make good use of what I've learned so far, if I possibly can. And I WILL pursue to finish the little red book, How Fiction Works!

No comments:

Post a Comment